- Gene Wolfe: No Comparison
- My Mistake: Daniel Menaker on What "Nobody Knows"
- Across the Great Divide: John Ferling on Jefferson...
- Michael Connelly: The Gods of Guilt
- The Voice: Tracey Thorn's Pop Journey
- Stephen R. Donaldson: The Believer
- Capturing Bird: Stanley Crouch on Kansas City Ligh...
- Doris Kearns Goodwin on The Bully Pulpit
- John Freeman: How to Read a Novelist
- Death of an Alchemist: Gavin Edwards on River Phoe...
This ambitious bildungsroman by Romanian author Mircea Cărtărescu focuses on a teenager and the magical-realist milieu through which he strives to grow into an untarnished adulthood.
The number of humans who have been into space is vanishingly small, but Col. Chris Hadfield has managed to crystallize his orbital experiences into a text of inspirational gleanings as vivid as Saturn's rings.
With its first presentation in English, Irmgard Keun's revolutionary and audacious 1931 novel about a little shopgirl who dared should now find the wider audience it fully deserves.